Theory is a relatively new retail chain, launched in 1997. The original “theory” behind these stores was simple: provide clothes for men and women that were not only comfortable to wear but sophisticated and stylish as well. For far too long, clothes were either smart and stylish but less than a pleasure to wear or they were soft and comfortable but did not convey the right message. Theory decided that clothes could fill both roles at the same time.
Theory stores are found all over the world including the flagship stores located in:
- New York
- Los Angeles
What Theory Sells for Women
Theory sells items for women in a number of collections typically divided by the type of clothing or by the season when they are meant to be worn. Some of these collections are trendy, while others are timeless classics. The women’s lines include:
- Shirts and tops
- Dresses and skirts
- Tees and knits
- Jackets and blazers
- Shoes and boots
What Theory Sells for Men
The stores also sell items for men with the same “theory”. Some items are trendy, and some are timeless classics that will endure from season to season to season. For men, the lines include:
- Ties and accessories
- Sport shirts
- Knits and sweaters
- Jackets and sports coats
- Polos and tees
- Coats and outerwear
- Dress shirts
Some Examples from the Women’s Lines
From the heading “new arrivals” these are just a few of the examples of the items you will find at your typical Theory store for women. (Sizing and color options are noted with each example.)
- The Klimora top in double georgette silk comes in sizes petite, small, medium and large. It comes in three colors: black, light peach and white. This sleeveless top has a high neck and its hem comes to the waist.
- The Adrianna Sweater in wondrous virgin wool is available in sizes petite, small, medium and large. It comes in several colors: light heather, dark ruby, ivory, black, uniform (a dark blue) and winter sky. This lightweight sweater comes with a slightly elongated hemline and a v neck for comfort.
- The Keil Pant in optimal cotton blend is available in sizes 00 to 12. it comes in three colors: black, uniform and white. These pants are tailored with a slim fit through the hip and thigh tapering to a very fitted ankle.
Some Examples from the Men’s Lines
Also from the heading “new arrivals”, these are just a few of the examples that Theory sells for men. Sizing and color options are also noted with these examples as well.
- The Bedros Tee in stay over -dyed cotton blend is available in sizes extra small to extra, extra large. It comes in two colors: sanctity (light tan) and shelf (blue). This is a v neck tee shirt with short sleeves and casual styling.
- The Riland Sweater in new sovereign wool is available in sizes XS to XXL and two colors: black and grey mélange. This lightweight sweater has a round neck and long sleeves with fitted wrists.
- The Haydin JE Jean in Bristen stretch cotton is available in waist sizes 28 to 36; these jeans come in only one color/style: rinsed indigo.
Theory Outlet Stores in the United States
In addition to the many international retail stores, Theory has quite a few outlet stores where shoppers can find their favorite comfortable but stylish fashions at deeply discounted prices. Unlike other outlets, Theory Outlets are often divided into either Men’s or Women’s stores with only a few carrying items for both genders. Most of the stores do offer information about the items they carry, so it is important that you check before you head there for a shopping trip. Here are the various outlet locations:
- Cabazon Premium Outlets in Cabazon, California
- Camarillo Premium Outlets in Camarillo, California
- Carlsbad Premium Outlets in Carlsbad, California
- Paragon Outlets in Livermore, California
- The Colonnade Outlets a Sawgrass Mills in Sunrise, Florida
- Chicago Premium Outlets in Aurora, Illinois
- Fashion Outlets of Chicago in Rosemont, Illinois
- Wrentham Village Premium Outlets in Wrentham, Massachusetts
- Las Vegas Premium Outlets in Las Vegas, Nevada
- Jersey Shore Premium Outlet in Tinton Falls, New Jersey
- Theory New York Company Store in New York, New York
- Tanger Riverhead Outlets in Riverhead, New York
- Woodbury Commons Premium Outlets in Central Valley, New York
- Philadelphia Premium Outlets in Limerick, Pennsylvania
- Tanger Hilton Head Outlets in Bluffton, South Carolina
- Houston Premium Outlets in Cypress, Texas
- Manchester Designer Outlets in Manchester Center, Vermont
- Leesburg Corner Premium Outlets in Leesburg, Virginia
There is no way to predict what you might find at an outlet store, which for some people can be part of the charm. If there is a particular item that you are looking for, especially if it is in a difficult to find size, it is a good idea to call the store to get an idea if the outlet carries it and may potentially have it in stock at that moment. Some outlets will actually check to see if they have the item on hand and may consider holding it for you if you know approximately when you will be in to pick it up. Some outlets do not allow this to happen, though, because of the nature of the stores themselves. It never hurts to ask- sometimes you will be lucky and get that extra special service that makes your day. Of course, the store is hoping that you will be so happy and appreciative that you will go ahead and pick up a few more items while you are there.