About MAC Cosmetics
Shopping for cosmetics is something people do everyday, but they rarely think about how their favorite brands got started. Yet almost everyone who uses cosmetics has certain favorite brands. In fact, some people are so brand loyal they have one brand they stand by and won’t use anything else.
MAC Cosmetics is one of those brands. With headquarters in New York City, this makeup brand seemed to come out of nowhere and grow with popularity in no time. Yet still, few people know anything about the company behind the cosmetics.
History of MAC Cosmetics
MAC Cosmetics was originally founded in Toronto, Ontario, Canada in 1984 before opening its first U.S. location in New York in 1991. Founded by Frank Toskan and Frank Angelo, the products were originally created for and sold exclusively to professional makeup artists only.
In fact, the products became popular because they were used mainly in the fashion industry in situations where makeup had to help create a strong visual effect. This was important for certain lighting situations for photo shoots and on the runway. However MAC Cosmetics are now available to public consumers around the world.
Originally MAC Cosmetics could only be found in department stores such as:
- And MAC Stores
Or you can also shop online for your favorite MAC Cosmetics products. However shoppers can now even find MAC Cosmetics at select factory outlet shopping centers. This is the best option for those shoppers who like to find a good bargain when buying their high end cosmetics.
In 1998 Estee Lauder acquired the company a year after original founder Frank Angelo died as a result of complications during surgery. The product line still retains many of the important guidelines that MAC Cosmetics is supposed to be about. Some of this includes:
- The majority of MAC products are free from oils. Those that do contain oils use natural oils such as jojoba and orange.
- MAC Cruelty Free Beauty means as little animal testing as possible, and suppliers for the ingredients used for the products are cruelty-free too. The only time there is animal testing, according to the company, is in circumstances where it is required by law.
- MAC Kids Helping Kids is a program started by the company in which kids suffering from AIDS/HIV design greeting cards and all of the proceeds are distributed among participating organizations.
MAC Cosmetics does still have cosmetics available for only industry professionals. The MAC PRO Program is available only through membership, and an application must be approved to be allowed into the program. Cosmetic professionals and students are able to get discounts through this program.
MAC Cosmetics Products
The main focus of this company’s products are makeup and skin care. However the amount of products they have available is vast. While there are too many popular MAC Cosmetic products to list, here are a few examples of hot sellers available:
- MAC Lipstick -- The best way to add texture as well as color to your lips is with this choice. This product is a large part of what made MAC Cosmetics so popular in the first place. Available in a wide variety of colors such as Candy Yum Yum, Film Noir and Paramount, just to name a few.
- MAC Studio Fix + Foundation -- Popular because it is a powder and foundation all in one. Help retain a smooth and desirable matte finish with this industry favorite. Available in more than 30 different shades to help match any skin tone.
- MAC Eye Shadow -- Highly-pigmented eye shadow that blends well for a professional finished look every time. Another industry favorite for professional makeup artists everywhere. Also available in a large variety of colors including bronze, lucky green and plum dressing.
From foundation to lipstick to even the best mascara application brushes, if it relates to makeup and cosmetics then MAC Cosmetics is the place to shop for it. Whether you are a professional makeup artist or just want the best for your own personal daily collection, you can’t go wrong with this popular brand.
Outlet Shopping for MAC Cosmetics
If you are one of those bargain hunters who likes to find a good deal, you will be glad to know you can find MAC Cosmetics at select factory outlet shopping centers. While not as numerous as some other famous brand names, you can still find several locations.
Some of them include:
- The Shops at Mission Vejo -- Located in Mission Vejo, California, this is where you can find MAC Cosmetics are well as plenty of other great brand name outlet stores. Some of the other choices include Crazy 8, Build A Bear Workshop and Claire’s.
- Walt Whitman Shops -- Located in Huntington Station in Queens, New York, this is one of the popular locations for buying MAC Cosmetics as well as other brands. Some of the other stores you can shop from here include J. Crew, Brooks Brothers and Michael Kors.
- The Fashion Centre at Pentagon City -- Located in Arlington, Virginia, one of the popular attractions here is the MAC Cosmetics store. While there, check out other name brand stores on the diretory listing such as Bath & Body Works, Frederick’s of Hollywood and Godiva Chocolatier.
- Woodfield Mall -- Located in Schaumburg, Illinois, this mall offers all you need. MAC Cosmetics is just one of several popular brands you will find here. Some of the other popular selections include American Apparel, Banana Republic and Forever 21.
MAC Cosmetics has become a popular staple in the world of professional and everyday cosmetics.