Shoppers don’t always give much thought to those brands responsible for keeping us clothed underneath our clothes. Sure it is easy to put the focus on those designer name brands that get noticed more. Yet even more important are the articles we wear under our trendy, classic or functional clothing.
Some brands for under garments have become just as classic a staple in American fashion history but rarely get noted for it. The brand you may be loyal to when it comes to underwear or sleepwear may even be Jockey, but you probably don’t give it much thought. You just know that when it comes to shopping for under garments, this is the brand you choose.
But more than likely you know nothing about how it got started or grew to be the giant it is. Having been around since 1876, they must be doing something right. So why not take a moment to learn a little about what went on from then to now to grow this company to what it is today.
Jockey International, Inc. History
You don’t become a recognized trademark in 120 countries without doing something correctly. The Jockey name is synonymous as a manufacturer, distributor and retailer of underwear as well as sleepwear for the whole family. Based out of Kenosha, WI, Jockey started in 1876 but is recognized for inventing the first Y front men’s brief in 1934.
Back in 1876 it was known under its original name Coopers, Inc., which was a hosiery business started by Samuel T. Cooper. The motivation behind the launch of this business was to create better socks for lumberjacks.
About 25 years later the company branched out to start making undergarments. As prosperous as the company had been, even it felt the sting of the Great Depression. In an attempt to save the company from bankruptcy in 1934, Harry H. Wolf was hired to help restructure the dying company.
The following year the first briefs were designed and sold by the company, and this changed everything. This was actually where the name jockey came from. With the first briefs being nicknamed “jockey” because this was the first undergarment to offer this type of support, other than a jockstrap.
- Consider this – the briefs were so popular that more than 30,000 sold in a three month timeframe of the introduction of the product. Once introduced to the UK market in 1938, the jockey briefs sold at a rate of 3,000 a week. It’s no surprise the company simply switched names from Coopers, Inc. to Jockey.
It wasn’t until 1982 that the company decided to add a Jockey for Her line that included intimate apparel and underwear. So no matter what it is you need for sleepwear, undergarments or intimate apparel, more than likely Jockey has it. In fact, more than likely you have already shopped for it from the Jockey brand name.
What to Shop For
These days Jockey carries a wide variety of items. The brand’s popularity continues to increase through work with certain celebrity endorsers and by working with popular events; the “Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues” is a prime example. Of course it is the quality and comfort of the products that helps keep the company going, that and the ability to continue to include innovative products at a reasonable price. Some of the categories you can shop for when you shop at Jockey online or in-store include:
- Men’s -- Shop from boxer, boxer brief, long underwear, t-shirts, socks and so much more
- Women’s -- When you choose the women’s division at Jockey there are products such as hosiery, sports bras, camis, shapewear, thong underwear and plenty more
You can also shop by collection such as:
- Seamless Waistband
- Fashion Active Mesh
- Jockey Pouch
- Jockey Slim Fit
- Jockey Stay Cool
- And much more
Stop by the site and you can even read user reviews of certain products in order to help make your own decision. Here are just a few of the popular options available through Jockey for your shopping needs:
- Jockey Seamfree Low Rise Brief -- This classic basic for men has just been improved with a low rise waistband. No fly construction and Seamfree microfiber are just some of the examples of details that make Jockey products so innovative.
- Jockey Traditional Fit French Cut -- This cut sits at a woman’s natural waist above the hips. Ultra-light fabric and scalloped waistband help make these look and feel wonderful. Available in three packs and a variety of colors.
- Jockey Shaping Legging -- Spandex that helps to smooth out, shape and slim the legs. Perfect for women looking for a little bit of curve control while wearing something comfortable and breathable.
You can also shop for boys and girls at Jockey which makes it easy to shop for the entire family in one place. You can shop online or at a full retail store. Of course many shoppers prefer the savings they can enjoy and take advantage of at a Jockey Outlet.
There are numerous locations for the Jockey factory outlets including 10 in Florida, seven in Texas and six in Pennsylvania.
Some of the popular locations include:
- Waterloo Premium Outlets in Waterloo, NY -- Aside from Jockey shoppers can take advantage of savings from brand names such as Banana Republic Factory Outlet, Guess Factory Store, Izod, SAS Factory Shoe Store, plus plenty more.
- Outlets at Castle Rock in Castle Rock, CO -- With plenty to choose from on the directory listing in addition to Jockey, consider also Kay Jewelers Outlet, Bass Outlet and Lane Bryant Outlet.
- Tanger Outlets National Harbor in National Harbor, MD -- You will be able to stock up on Jockey items but also shop from Gymboree Outlet, Under Armour, Chico’s Outlet and Brooks Brothers Factory Outlet.
An easy online search will help you to find a Jockey factory outlet near where you currently live or might be traveling to. You can shop for him, her or even girls and boys. Jockey has a long tradition for quality and innovative design.