About Ecko Unltd
Marc “Echo” Milecofsky, his twin sister Marci and their friend Seth Gerzberg took six plain tee shirts, some spray paint and a couple of ideas and started creating graffiti inspired works of art that they sold to local people. That was in the mid-1980s and by 1993, the trio were ready to launch the brand they called Ecko Unlimited. Headquartered in East Brunswick, New Jersey, it became not only the largest retail brand in street wear but an iconic part of some of the biggest events in the world of fashion, music and even big screen movies.
In 2009, the company Iconix bought out the majority share of Ecko Unlimited, and then in May of 2013 took over full ownership of it. The brand is now sold in 80 countries around the world on six different continents and has 100 stores in the United States alone.
Major Stepping Stones in the Ecko Unlimited Journey
Most retail chains are launched, do well for a while, falter and then die out. Ecko Unlimited continues to branch out, to expand and to grow so that they can reach new customers or established customers in new ways. The journey has been an interesting one to say the least with more than a few twists and turns off the beaten path.
- In February of 1994, the company was asked to design a new logo for Sony Records’ Epic Street Division.
- In April 1996, Ecko Unlimited designed clothes that were used in the major motion picture, Jurassic Park 2: The Lost World.
- In November 1996, long before retail stores even considered a need to do so, Ecko Unlimited launched its first website.
- In April 1999, a new line of footwear was added to the company line up.
- In September 1999, a line of apparel was designed for Marvel Comics.
- In December 1999, Ecko Unlimited became the very first design house to have an appearance in a video game.
- In April 2000, Ecko Unlimited went global when the first shipments were sent to Japan.
- In February 2001, the company buys Zoo York, which is an action sports brand.
- In June 2002, a line of watches (Watches by Marc Ecko) was added. Those watches include three separate lines: Street, Classic and Exhibit.
- In 2008, Ecko MFG, a line of jeans, was added to the company’s line up.
- In 2009, Ecko MMA, a line of apparel celebrating mixed martial arts, was added and includes everything from graphic tee shirts to hoodies and more.
Beyond the Basic Tee Shirt
While Ecko Unlimited may have been founded with just a handful of tee shirts and a dream, the store has certainly expanded far beyond just that. True, there are still quite a few styles of tees to be had there, but there are also enough choices to create an entire wardrobe.
- Tee Shirts. Includes basic tees, logos, MMA, pocket, rhino, Spanglish, striped and tanks
- Shirts. Includes button downs, polos, sweatshirts, thermals, rugby polos
- Bottoms. Includes pants, shorts, sweat pants and active pants
- Jeans. Includes skinny fit, slim fit, straight fit and relaxed fit
- Accessories. Includes backpacks, bandanas, belts, boxers, eyewear, watches, socks and wallets
- Outerwear. Includes anoraks, jackets, sweaters, track jackets, varsity jackets and vests
- Fleece. Includes hoodies, sweatpants and sweatshirts
The Ecko Unlimited Collections
There are several collections in the Ecko Unlimited stores- items that range from tees to pants, accessories and outerwear all with a singular theme or feeling. The Young Rebel Collection includes items such as the Fully Loaded Crew, the Crazy Like a Faux Vest, the Tone on Tone Polo shirt or the Biters Beware Tee.
Another collection, called 93 Till, features the Eclipse Tee, the Colorblock Better Tee, the Native Silo Cardigan sweater, the Master of the Skies pant and the Master of the Skies Crewneck sweatshirt. The MMA line is considered a separate collection and includes a number of short sleeve tees, long sleeve shirts, thermals and hoodies all with slogans, logos and sayings to inspire and to intimidate.
Featured Items at Ecko Unlimited.
Here are just a few of the featured items that you might find at Ecko Unlimited Stores. Each example includes sizing and color option information when applicable.
- The Poly Tricot Track Jacket. This lightweight jacket features a full front zipper and easy fit elastic at the waist and wrists. Sizes available include XS to XXXL. It is available in the following color choices: royal blue, charcoal, pastel green, purple and orange. Both the royal blue and the charcoal also have a graphic splash design on the chest of the jacket. All colors are color blocked with black and white as well as the main color.
- The Young Rebels Popover. Made of soft, French terry, this pullover hoodie comes in only one color (gold) with white stripes and the Young Rebels logo embroidered on the chest. It is currently being listed as “limited quantity only” and is only available in sizes Medium and Large.
- The Concrete Wash Slim Fitted Jean. Available in waist sizes 28 to 38, this jean comes in indigo khaki only.
- The Drawstring Bottom Fleece Slim Sweatpant. A soft fleece sweatpant, this one has the Ecko Unlimited logo plus an elastic and drawstring waist for the perfect, comfortable fit. Elastic at the ankles keep these from looking sloppy. Available in sizes XS to XL and colors black, dark green, light grey and navy.
Ecko Unlimited Outlet Store
In addition to the retail stores across the country, there are a number of outlet stores that sell many of the Ecko Unlimited favorites at deeply discounted prices. There are 65 outlet stores in all with 11 in California, seven in Texas, five each in Florida and Pennsylvania and four each in New Jersey and New York. Here is a partial listing of the outlet stores:
- Albertville Premium Outlet in Albertville, Minnesota
- Allen Premium Outlet in Allen, Texas
- Arizona Mills Outlet Mall in Tempe, Arizona
- Arundel Mills in Hanover, Maryland
- Camarillo Premium Outlets in Camarillo, California
- Carolina Premium Outlets in Smithfield, North Carolina
- Chicago Premium Outlets in Aurora, Illinois
- Citadel Outlets in Los Angeles, California
- Concord Mills in Concord, North Carolina
In addition to these and many other outlet stores, a new one is to be opened in the near future. That one is at Fashion Outlet Niagara Falls in Niagara Falls, New York.