About Dooney & Bourke
In 1975, Dooney and Bourke was started with the intention of making a differing in the fine leather good market. The company sold bags of various sizes and styles as well as well made, leather accessories. In addition to very popular lines and designers, Dooney and Bourke also carries a range of exclusives. There are items for men and women, travel, casual use, gift ware and more.
There are 75 Dooney and Bourke stores across the United States, but the brand is also featured in a number of other stores such as Macy's and others as well.
Exclusively Sold by Dooney and Bourke
One of the most popular items is also an exclusive. You can only get this item, a New York Yankees satchel, from Dooney and Bourke. Medium sized, it is white with the New York Yankee logos in brilliant color on both sides.
Shopping for Other Items at Dooney and Bourke
In addition to the exclusive items, there are a number of other things that you might shop for at a Dooney and Bourke store. These include these items:
- Reusable canvas totes. The perfect size for everyday use, they are created from durable canvas that is easier to care for than leather.
- Handbags. Whether you want cross body, clutches, strapped or others, all of the handbags that you could possibly want or need are here.
- Travel bags. Available in several sizes, these are the bags that will get you from home to wherever your destination might be in style.
- Business and tech bags. Messenger style bags, briefcases and laptop bags all with business forward designs that make them right at home in any office.
- Clear totes. A nice tote in a cute design these are durable but perfectly see through so you never have to dig through the whole bag to find the one item that you were looking for.
- Men's wallets.
- Lady's wallets
- Gift items for virtually any occasion
Shopping Some of the Dooney and Bourke Favorites
Every store and brand has a few items that can be deemed “favorites” because they sell so well. These favorites might change from year to year or from season to season while some are timeless and make the list every year. These are the current Dooney and Bourke favorites:
- The all-weather leather medium drawstring bag
- The all-weather leather duck bag
- The Alto Viola Bag
- The calf o-ring sac
- The calf convertible shopper
- The Croco small Lexington shopper
- The Croco letter carrier
Factory and Outlet Stores to Save You Money
Fine leather items tend to be a bit extravagant and may be outside of some people's budgets. While there are other options at Dooney and Bourke and frequent sales, there may still be better discounts to be had including at outlet or factory stores. At both types, you are likely to find a fairly wide range of items, but you may not find every single item in every single color. There are six Dooney and Bourke outlet stores in the state of Florida:
- The St. Augustine Outlet in St. Augustine
- The Silver Sands Factory Store in Destin
- At Ellenton Premium Outlet Malls in Ellenton
- The Orlandon Premium Outlet, International in Orlando.
- Outlets at Vero Beach in Vero Beach
There are also outlet stores in Delaware, California, Connecticut, Illinois, Maine, New York, Nevada, Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia and in Puerto Rico.
A brand new Dooney and Bourke factory store is going to open in the fall of 2013 in Seattle. It will be located in the Seattle Premium Outlets in Tulalip, Washington.
Learning How to Care for Your New Dooney and Bourke Purse or Bag
Whether you buy your bag from a Dooney and Bourke store, from another store or at one of the outlets, it is important that you care for it correctly or the leather will not last for very long. Some items, like the all leather bags, should not be washed but excess soil can be carefully dried off if that is necessary. Some materials, including suede, may spot if exposed to conditions such as rain or snow so it is important to protect them. Some manufacturers suggest that only a certain type of suede protectant be used, while others make no particular recommendation.
If your bag becomes very soiled or damaged in any way, you may have to have an expert to take care of the problem for you. Don't trust your leather bags to just anyone just because they are a dry cleaner. Ask if they are familiar with leather cleaning techniques before you leave your items or they may be ruined.
Before you store your bag, especially for longer periods of time, check the zippers or other hardware for signs of damage. Make sure that each bag is empty because even small crumbs can lure pests to the bag.