In 1983, the first Chico's was opened as a small boutique on Sanibel Island, Florida. That store sold Mexican folk art as well as cotton sweaters. Soon, Chico's was selling women's clothing of all kinds from business wear to active wear and more in more than 700 stores, a monthly catalog and through online shopping. There are more than 100 Chico's outlet stores in the nation as well.
New Arrivals at Chico’s
Chico’s stays on top of the cutting edge of fashion with a number of new arrivals. Some of the newest items that have just hit the Chico’s stores include:
- The Emerald Tweed Jacket. Dark and tweedy, this jacket hits right at the waist line and looks perfect with a pair of tailored trousers and is equally great with a pair of jeans.
- The Sweet Shimmer Drita Top: This is a sexy, satiny top that comes in either white or champagne.
- The Faux Sleeve Blazer. A gorgeous blazer, this one has lacy looking sleeves for a more updated appearance.
The So Slimming Line
One of Chico's top selling lines in both the regular stores and the outlets is the So Slimming line. All of the clothing in this line features the “hidden fit technology” with slimming panels that smooth and flatten bulges, bumps and other figure destroying issues. This special design is available in jackets, bottoms, dresses and skirts and is designed to help you look as much as a full size smaller.
Other lines at Chico's includes the Black Label line, Traveler's Line, which is easy care, easy wear styles that are perfect for packing for trips, and the Zenergy line, which is Chico's active wear with style. Soma, the line of intimates is also sold in Chico's stores.
General Lines at Chico's
Chico's sells virtually anything a woman could need from dresses, separates, active wear and jackets, but also sells a number of outfit completing items as well. Accessories that range from shoes and boots to wraps and scarves, belts, bags, eyewear and even Spanx shapewear are also sold here so that you can create an outfit from the inside out and from top to bottom all in one place.
The Social World of Chico's
Chico's like many other stores, has an active social media presence. In addition to the official Chico's website, you can find the store on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest. Follow Chico's on these sites and you might get information on secret sales or be given special discounts that are reserved only for social media fans.
Another way to save money with Chico's is with the Passport membership. Simply sign up for a Chico's Passport and earn an extra discount even on sale priced items. Members also get special bonuses such as free shipping on certain orders and more.
Shopping the Outlets
Chico's Outlet stores are a great way to get your favorite clothes and accessories at deeply discounted prices. Many of the outlet stores are located in big outlet malls so that you can make a whole day trip out of visiting all of your favorite name brand stores without having to pay the name brand prices. Chico's Outlet stores are located in these outlet malls, for example:
- Tanger Outlets in National Harbor, Washington DC
- Tanger Outlets in Riverhead, New York
- Oklahoma City Outlet Mall in Oklahoma
- Tanger Outlet in Jeffersonville, Ohio
- Las Vegas Premium Outlets North in Nevada
- The Crossings Premium Outlet in Pennsylvania
The most famous Chico's outlet is in the Sawgrass Mills Shopping Mall in Sunrise, Florida, which is across the state from the original Chico's in Sanibel Island.
Making the Most out of Your Shopping Experience
Whether you are going to a Chico's boutique or outlet store or prefer to do your shopping in the comfort of your own home, you can make the most of your shopping dollars by considering a few simple and time tested tips.
- First, remember that not all trends work with all body types. Dress for your body because even the latest fashions will not look good on you if they are all wrong for your shape. Consider your own appearance before falling for what a fashion magazine says you “must” wear.
- Second, choose items that are appropriate for the event or activity. Nothing is sadder than the person who insists on wearing yoga pants or other sports wear items to the office. Save the active wear for after work or the weekends and buy yourself some tailored, business forward pieces so that you can set the right tone in the office, especially if you have a position of any authority. It is hard to respect someone who is wearing the wrong clothes.
If you are shopping online, pay careful attention to the shipping and handling charges as well as the return policy. Certain items, especially markdowns or closeouts, may not be eligible for return at all. If you have never shopped at Chico's before, be sure to read the sizing charts before you order. It is also a good idea to read some of the customer reviews so that you know if clothing runs smaller or larger than the listed size.
Colors are often difficult to gauge on a computer screen- differences in monitors and brightness can mean that the teal blouse you love online could appear more aqua when it arrives in your home. If you must have an exact shade of any item, it is probably easier and safer to go to the boutique or outlet store in person.